This recipe is contributed by, Andrea Hannemann (see bio below) better known as “Earthy Andy”
In our March issue we focus on adding more healthy greens into our diet.
I remembered this recipe from our July issue last year and thought I need to share it with you here.
If pesto is a favourite pasta topping, you always enjoy peas and something fresh to bite into – you love this recipe.
Enjoy the conventional cooking version and the TL version:
Vegan GF noodles
Swiss Chard leaves
1 cup macadamia nuts, toasted
2 cups fresh basil, stems removed
2 garlic cloves
1 lemon, juiced
1/8 cup cold pressed olive oil or water 1 tsp salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1.Cook your noodles according to packet instructions
2.Toast your Macadamia nuts in a frying pan tossing constantly on medium heart
3.After, place nuts, basil, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor, adding oil slowly and blend until creamy.
4.Add salt and pepper to taste, and more lemon juice if required (start with half a lemon’s juice).
5.Cook your green peas until tender. Mix pesto with noodles and serves with a couple of chard leaves and the peas.
6.We used big fresh Swiss chard leaves from our garden as a salad. I wrapped my vegan pesto pasta inside like a lettuce wrap and it was awesome!! (Swiss chard is awesome for lettuce wraps).
- Start with making the pesto in the Thermomix (first toast nuts see step 2).
- Place the toasted macadamia nuts and garlic in the bowl and chop for 3sec / speed 4.5.
- Add the basil and lemon juice, close the lid and put measuring cup in place. Turn blades to speed 5.5 and put the oil on the lid so it slowly drizzles in. Add more oil or water if you want a smoother consistency and also add salt and pepper to taste – set pesto aside.
- If you want to cook the pasta in the Thermomix, fill the bowl with 1.5 liters (no need to wash the bowl), cook the water for 12 min / 100C / speed soft. Add salt and dried pasta (we used in the TL kitchen udon noodles – cooking time only 4 min) through hole in the mixing bowl lid and cook time indicated on package / 100C / reverse / speed 1.
- If you want to cook the peas with the pasta, then add them a couple of minutes before pasta is done. Drain pasta and peas and combine with pesto.
- See Andy’s step 6 Andy’s.
Andrea is a vegan inspiration. Her family is the definition of healthy living, body & mind- just check out her Instagram page! But her inspiring life was not without it’s struggles. Andrea has had her fair share of health battles, having been diagnosed with everything from celiac disease and leaky gut syndrome, Reynolds disease, IBS, asthma, and thyroid issues- not to mention, she had suffered from chronic fatigue most of her life.
But not anymore! She recently became a plant-based vegan, and it has literally changed her life. Despite having traditional doctors tell her that she would have to take harsh medication for the rest of her life, Andrea decided to take a conscious, proactive approach, and she chose nature and a positive attitude to heal herself. Andrea is passionate about sharing her knowledge with the world, so be sure to follow her on Instagram and YouTube, and get involved!
Website : www.earthyandy.com