Green Pea Spinach Soup with Coconut Milk and Mint
by Chef Kate – recipe from her new book “The Flavour of Joy”
This is one of my all-time favourite soups! It’s the perfect thing to make when you haven’t planned ahead because you’ll find most of the ingredients right in your well-stocked pantry and freezer. You can even use frozen spinach—just thaw it and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. It is really quick and easy to make and is delicious served hot or chilled.
PREP TIME 10–15 minutes COOKING TIME 5–10 minutes
- 21⁄2 cups frozen (thawed) peas or fresh shelled peas
- 11⁄2 cups coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup (packed) raw spinach
- 3 tbsp finely chopped mint (reserve a few leaves for serving)
- 1 tbsp coconut syrup (to taste—optional)
- 11⁄2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Hot pepper (chilli) sauce (optional—for serving)
NOTE — Try adding a little cumin powder or other fresh herbs like thyme, basil, or cilantro (coriander). For an even greater green boost, add a little kale and chard (silver beet). I also like to use nut milk sometimes and creamy cashew milk works really well in this soup.
1. Place all the ingredients in the blender, except for the reserved spring onion and mint leaves. Blend on high for about 2–3 minutes or until the soup is very smooth and creamy.
2. You may have to blend the soup in two batches depending on your blender and add a little more coconut milk or water during blending. The soup should be thick and creamy, but not too thick. You decide the consistency you like; there is no wrong way.
3. If blending in 2 batches pour the first batch of soup into a bowl before blending the second batch. Then mix all the soup together, check for seasoning, and add more salt if needed.
4. You can serve the soup chilled, or gently heat while stirring, being careful not to bring it to a boil.
Serve with a swirl of coconut milk, mint leaves, and a dash of hot pepper (chilli) sauce if desired.
The soup will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator, or freeze for up to 1 month.
Pre-order Chef Kate’s book here.