Recipe by Dani Valent, from In the Mix: Great Thermomix Recipes
I was sceptical about the ability of the Thermomix to stir-fry but, after plenty of experimenting, I’m won over. The Thermomix doesn’t replicate the fierce heat of a wok so its stir-fry is gentler, but persuasively delicious. In this dish, everything – rice, vegetables, steak and omelette – is made in the Thermomix.
Time: 45 minutes, plus at least 20 minutes steak marinating. Serves 4 (increase meat and vegetable quantities to serve more)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 spring onions, white part only
30 grams oyster sauce
50 grams soy sauce
50 grams sugar
10 grams sesame oil
300 grams rump or porterhouse steak, or more if you’re feeding more, whole not sliced
70 grams rice per person (up to 400 grams)
30 grams vegetable oil (or Macadamia Nut oil)
10 grams ginger
chilli, fresh or paste, to taste
400 grams mixed vegetables, such as purple cabbage, carrots, broccoli, bok choi and beans, cut into bite-sized portions
1. First, make the steak marinade. Put the garlic cloves and spring onions in the TM bowl and chop for 2 seconds/speed 7. Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil to the TM bowl, and mix for 10 seconds/speed 3. Rub all the marinade into the steak leave it in the fridge for 20 minutes or more.
2. Don’t clean the TM bowl. Put the TM basket in place, weigh in 70 grams of rice per person, then pour over 1 kilogram of water. Wash the rice by mixing for 10 seconds/speed 5. Place the marinated steak in the base of the Varoma and pour the steak marinating liquid over it. Put the Varoma tray in place, over the steak, then take a large sheet of baking paper, dampen with water, scrunch it up, then spread it over the Varoma tray. Crack 3 eggs into a bowl and whisk them. Tip the eggs onto the baking paper in the Varoma tray.
3. Cook the rice, steak and omelette for 20 minutes/Varoma/speed 4.
4. When the timer has finished, tip the rice into a Thermoserver or other heatproof bowl and rest the steak and omelette on top. Cover with the lid or foil.
5. Wash and dry the TM bowl. Heat the vegetable oil in the TM bowl for 2 minutes/Varoma/speed 1. Add the ginger and fresh chillies or chilli paste to taste. Chop for 2 seconds/speed 7, then scrape down. Add the mixed vegetables and cook for 6 minutes/Varoma/Reverse/speed 1. To plate it up, mound the rice in a bowl. Slice the steak and omelette, and arrange the meat, vegetables and omelette on top.